James P. Lynch
James P. Lynch is a trial lawyer who represents victims and their families in catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death cases. Prior to joining Taxman, Pollock, Murray & Bekkerman, LLC, Jim practiced commercial litigation at a prominent Chicago law firm, where he defended nationally-recognized trucking companies, school bus operators, and insurance providers against personal injury claims across the Midwest. Jim’s experience defending against such personal injury claims gives him valuable insight to maximize his clients’ recovery due to the negligence of others. In the short time period that Jim has represented the injured and their families throughout Illinois, he has been selected as a “Rising Star” by Illinois Super Lawyers (2016, 2017) and featured in Chicago Magazine for this distinction, which is limited to fewer than 2.5% of attorneys in Illinois. To be eligible for inclusion in Rising Stars, a candidate must be under 40 years old or in practice for 10 years or less. In 2017, Jim was also recognized by the National Trial Lawyers “Top 40 Under 40 Attorneys” in the Civil Plaintiff Litigation category. During this same time period, Mr. Lynch has recovered millions in the process for injured clients through settlement, mediation and trial.
Jim received his J.D. from Loyola University Chicago School of Law in 2007, where he was a recipient of the Corboy Trial Advocacy Fellowship, competing nationally in mock trial competitions, the CALI Award for the highest grade in Appellate Advocacy, and a member of the Dean’s List. He received a Bachelor of Arts in Public Administration from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. At Miami University, Jim served as a Justice on the faculty-selected Student Court and was a member of the Dean’s List. Jim is a lifelong Chicago area resident, first raised in Chicago’s Beverly neighborhood and later in suburban Western Springs, where he graduated from Nazareth Academy in LaGrange Park.
Mr. Lynch is currently admitted to the Illinois Bar and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. He has previously been admitted pro hac vice in cases across the Midwest. When not working, Jim loves to spend time with his wife, son, family and friends.
- $15,000,000.00 settlement on behalf of several mattress retailers in In re: Polyurethane Foam Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Ohio), a federal class action lawsuit involving an alleged price-fixing conspiracy by a nationwide group of polyurethane foam manufacturers.
- $1,000,000.00 settlement on behalf of estate of 34-year-old man who fell onto the elevated tracks while intoxicated at a CTA train station in Chicago, after security failed to identify him and remove him from the station.
- $800,000.00 settlement on behalf of 31-year-old man who suffered multiple leg fractures upon striking a City of Chicago pothole while driving a moped.
- $400,000.00 settlement on behalf of family of four injured in multiple-car collision in a southwest Chicago suburb.
- $400,000.00 settlement on behalf of a 70-year-old woman neglected by employees of a suburban Chicago nursing home, which caused her to develop severe bedsores that required surgery.
- $265,000.00 settlement on behalf of 42-year-old man who stepped into a pothole filled with water during a Chicago street festival, suffering multiple leg fractures that required surgery. Defendants denied that the area where the man was injured was a part of the festival grounds and also denied the existence of any pothole filled with water. Settled at mediation after fact discovery was completed.
- $250,000.00 settlement on behalf of 49-year-old woman struck by motorist as a pedestrian in a crosswalk who suffered injury to her lower back and spine.
- $200,000.00 settlement on behalf of estate of 75-year-old male against suburban Chicago nursing home for causing multiple pressure ulcers to his sacral area and buttocks.
- $90,000.00 jury verdict on behalf of 43-year-old woman that suffered injuries to her cheek and mouth following a motor vehicle collision. Jury awarded verdict three times the settlement amount offered by the defendant prior to trial.
- Favorably defended legal malpractice action filed in the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois. Plaintiff claimed professional negligence despite receiving $2,000,000.00 in underlying transportation negligence litigation. Plaintiff made pre-trial demand of $5,000,000.00, but chose to settle out of court for nominal sum following pre-trial motions in limine.
- Successful defense verdict as second-chair in legal malpractice action filed in Cook County. Represented real estate closing attorney in commercial transaction valued in excess of $3,000,000.00 dollars. The jury returned a verdict of not guilty on behalf of client, despite plaintiff attorney’s request that jury award verdict in excess of $3,000,000.00.
- Served as Special Assistant Corporation Counsel in administrative trial involving two Chicago Police Officers before Chicago Police Department Police Board. The officers were charged with violating six different Department rules and regulations for the illegal detainment and transport of a civilian against his will. The incident was captured on videotape and the Police Board trial was profiled on WBEZ, Chicago’s NPR affiliate, in a series of online news articles published in February and May 2013. Successfully secured a guilty finding against both officers, who were subsequently discharged by the Chicago Police Department. Officers’ appeal successfully defeated in Cook County Circuit Court Chancery Division.
Areas of Practice
- Wrongful Death Claims
- Transportation Liability
- Medical Negligence
- Premises Liability Claim
- Construction Site Injuries
- Nursing Home Negligence
- Products Liability
“Working with Mr. Lynch to seek compensation from an auto accident is one of the best decisions I ever made. My case was unique and complicated from start to finish. Jim’s expertise made it as effortless for me as possible. He was straightforward on the process, always accessible, and constantly providing updates. Most importantly, he induced the max settlement I could receive. Jim did not let the substandard insurance company avoid their payout obligation. He put them in a situation where settling was their best option. Another development occurred after we thought our suit was complete. Jim still provided his skills to remedy the issue. I will always be grateful for him doing this. As for his character, Mr. Lynch is very friendly and honest. I never felt like my best interests were not being served.” – Michael B.
“Although Jim had only been working on my case for a few weeks, he was very familiar with it and was determined to have a positive outcome. Jim’s closing [argument] and final rebuttal completely knocked it out of the park. He could not have done better and the jury’s judgement is testament to that.” – Jenn K.
“Being this my first time using a lawyer and hearing some horror stories about friend’s experiences, I was dreading the experience. I could not have been more wrong. Jim was an absolute pleasure to work with in every aspect. He answered questions promptly and precisely no matter how redundant or small, he worked insanely hard to get me the best outcome in my case, and went the extra mile more than once to meet up with me and talk in person to give me details and provide documents. I could not recommend him more highly. If you are looking for a lawyer that will make your life easier and not harder, Jim is your guy.” – Alex F.
“Jim was very helpful in my injury case. He was persistent and thorough in getting to the bottom of issues and made me feel comfortable and informed throughout the process. He stayed with me for the long duration of my case and I appreciated his approachability and his persistence throughout the process. I have nothing but good things to say about him.” – Amy D.
“You were truly great to work with. You gave me a great amount of support during a difficult deposition and you were always there to answer my questions. I felt a great rapport with you…you are truly a great asset.” Jeffrey Lonstein, President and Chief Operating Officer of Jeffco Fibres, Inc.
“Jim is a star with nearly unlimited potential…both in terms of substantive litigation ability and business development skills.” Charles Tompkins, Head of Antitrust and Unfair Competition Practice Group at Williams, Montgomery & John, Ltd.
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2007
Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Chicago, Illinois
J.D. – 2007 (Certification – Trial Advocacy)
B.A. – 2004
Honors & Awards
- Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars Top 2.5 % of Attorneys in Illinois under 40 years old – 2016
- Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars Top 2.5 % of Attorneys in Illinois under 40 years old – 2017
Professional & Bar Association/Memberships
Open Heart Magic – Professional Board Vice President of Sponsorships & Partnerships; prior recipient of “Special Service Award” for fundraising efforts on behalf of this non-for-profit organization that provides interactive magic to sick and terminally ill children in Chicago area hospitals.
contact us today