James P. Lynch
James P. Lynch is a trial lawyer who represents victims and their families in catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death cases. Prior to joining Taxman, Pollock, Murray & Bekkerman, LLC, Jim practiced commercial litigation at a prominent Chicago law firm, where he defended nationally-recognized insurance providers against personal injury claims across the Midwest. Jim’s experience defending against such personal injury claims gives him valuable insight to maximize his clients’ recovery due to the negligence of others. In the short time period that Jim has represented the injured and their families throughout Illinois, he has been selected as a “Rising Star” by Illinois Super Lawyers (2016, 2017) and featured in Chicago Magazine for this distinction, which is limited to fewer than 2.5% of attorneys in Illinois under 40 years old and/or in practice for 10 years or less. In 2017, Jim was recognized by the National Trial Lawyers “Top 40 Under 40 Attorneys” in the Civil Plaintiff Litigation category. In 2018, Jim was recognized by Chicago Law Bulletin Media as an “Emerging Lawyer” for his nursing home negligence and general personal injury work, a distinction limited to fewer than 2.0% of the attorneys in Illinois under 40 years old and/or in practice for 10 years or less. Over this same time period, Mr. Lynch has recovered millions in the process for injured clients through settlement, mediation and trial.
Jim received his J.D. from Loyola University Chicago School of Law in 2007, where he was a recipient of the Corboy Trial Advocacy Fellowship, competing nationally in mock trial competitions, the CALI Award for the highest grade in Appellate Advocacy, and a member of the Dean’s List. He received a Bachelor of Arts in Public Administration from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. At Miami University, Jim served as a Justice on the faculty-selected Student Court and was a member of the Dean’s List. Jim is a lifelong Chicago area resident, first raised in Chicago’s Beverly neighborhood and later in suburban Western Springs, where he graduated from Nazareth Academy in LaGrange Park.
Mr. Lynch is currently admitted to the Illinois Bar and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. He has previously been admitted pro hac vice in cases across the Midwest. When not working, Jim loves to spend time with his wife, son, family and friends.
- $15,000,000.00 settlement on behalf of several mattress retailers in In re: Polyurethane Foam Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Ohio), a federal class action lawsuit involving an alleged price-fixing conspiracy by a nationwide group of polyurethane foam manufacturers.
- $1,032,300.79 excess jury verdict in an automobile case on behalf of a 57-year-old mother and 35-year-old daughter injured in a rear-end crash in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. The defendant’s insurance company refused to offer any settlement money until the start of trial, four years following the crash. The insurance company denied our clients’ claims throughout trial, arguing that each woman’s injuries were not related to the crash itself. Following the jury verdict in excess of the defendant’s insurance policy limits, the insurance company settled for a total of $1,045,923.61 to avoid further litigation.
- $1,000,000.00 settlement on behalf of estate of 34-year-old man who fell onto the elevated tracks while intoxicated at a CTA train station in Chicago, after security failed to identify him and remove him from the station.
- $800,000.00 settlement on behalf of 31-year-old man who suffered multiple leg fractures upon striking a City of Chicago pothole while driving a moped.
- $400,000.00 settlement on behalf of family of four injured in multiple-car collision in a southwest Chicago suburb.
- $400,000.00 settlement on behalf of a 70-year-old woman neglected by employees of a suburban Chicago nursing home, which caused her to develop severe bedsores that required surgery.
- $265,000.00 settlement on behalf of 42-year-old man who stepped into a pothole filled with water during a Chicago street festival, suffering multiple leg fractures that required surgery. Defendants denied that the area where the man was injured was a part of the festival grounds and also denied the existence of any pothole filled with water. Settled at mediation after fact discovery was completed.
- $250,000.00 settlement on behalf of 49-year-old woman struck by motorist as a pedestrian in a crosswalk who suffered injury to her lower back and spine.
- $200,000.00 settlement on behalf of estate of 75-year-old male against suburban Chicago nursing home for causing multiple pressure ulcers to his sacral area and buttocks.
- $90,000.00 jury verdict on behalf of 43-year-old woman that suffered injuries to her cheek and mouth following a motor vehicle collision. Jury awarded verdict three times the settlement amount offered by the defendant prior to trial.
- Served as City of Chicago Special Assistant Corporation Counsel in administrative trial involving two police officers before Department’s Police Board. The officers were charged with violating six different Department rules and regulations for the illegal detainment and transport of a civilian against his will. The incident was captured on videotape and the Police Board trial itself was profiled on WBEZ, Chicago’s NPR affiliate, in a series of online news articles published in February and May 2013. Successfully secured a guilty finding against both officers for their conduct, which violated CPD rules and regulations.
Areas of Practice
- Wrongful Death Claims
- Transportation Liability
- Construction Site Injuries
- Nursing Home Negligence
- Medical Negligence
- Products Liability
- Premises Liability
“Working with Mr. Lynch to seek compensation from an auto accident is one of the best decisions I ever made. My case was unique and complicated from start to finish. Jim’s expertise made it as effortless for me as possible. He was straightforward on the process, always accessible, and constantly providing updates. Most importantly, he induced the max settlement I could receive. Jim did not let the substandard insurance company avoid their payout obligation. He put them in a situation where settling was their best option. Another development occurred after we thought our suit was complete. Jim still provided his skills to remedy the issue. I will always be grateful for him doing this. As for his character, Mr. Lynch is very friendly and honest. I never felt like my best interests were not being served.” – Michael B.
“Marc Taxman and James Lynch are top notch attorneys who worked aggressively and diligently (including weekends and long nights) to obtain very favorable verdicts for my mom and I at trial! They (and the entire staff) made us feel very comfortable throughout the entire litigation process and even made us feel like family during the stressful week-long trial. I hope I never need their services again, but if I do, I already know who I will call and will recommend them to anyone I know who needs help like we did. Thanks again for your awesomeness and hard work!” – Jen F.
“Although Jim had only been working on my case for a few weeks, he was very familiar with it and was determined to have a positive outcome. Jim’s closing [argument] and final rebuttal completely knocked it out of the park. He could not have done better and the jury’s judgement is testament to that.” – Jenn K.
“Being this my first time using a lawyer and hearing some horror stories about friend’s experiences, I was dreading the experience. I could not have been more wrong. Jim was an absolute pleasure to work with in every aspect. He answered questions promptly and precisely no matter how redundant or small, he worked insanely hard to get me the best outcome in my case, and went the extra mile more than once to meet up with me and talk in person to give me details and provide documents. I could not recommend him more highly. If you are looking for a lawyer that will make your life easier and not harder, Jim is your guy.” – Alex F.
“Jim was very helpful in my injury case. He was persistent and thorough in getting to the bottom of issues and made me feel comfortable and informed throughout the process. He stayed with me for the long duration of my case and I appreciated his approachability and his persistence throughout the process. I have nothing but good things to say about him.” – Amy D.
“You were truly great to work with. You gave me a great amount of support during a difficult deposition and you were always there to answer my questions. I felt a great rapport with you…you are truly a great asset.” –
Jeffrey Lonstein, President and Chief Operating Officer of Jeffco Fibres, Inc.
“Jim is a star with nearly unlimited potential…both in terms of substantive litigation ability and business development skills.” –
Charles Tompkins, Head of Antitrust and Unfair Competition Practice Group at Williams, Montgomery & John, Ltd.
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2007
Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Chicago, Illinois
J.D. – 2007 (Certification – Trial Advocacy)
B.A. – 2004
Honors & Awards
- Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars Top 2.5 % of Attorneys in Illinois under 40 years old – 2016
- Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars Top 2.5 % of Attorneys in Illinois under 40 years old – 2017
- National Trial Lawyers “Top 40 Under 40 Attorneys” in the Civil Plaintiff Litigation category – 2017
- Chicago Law Bulletin Media Emerging Lawyers Top 2.0% of Attorneys in Illinois under 40 years old – 2018
Professional & Bar Association/Memberships
Open Heart Magic – Professional Board Vice President of Sponsorships & Partnerships; prior recipient of “Special Service Award” for fundraising efforts on behalf of this non-for-profit organization that provides interactive magic to sick and terminally ill children in Chicago area hospitals.
contact us today